Our Social Justice focus helps us live into the Seven Principles...
by finding ways to engage in democratic processes
to honor every person with dignity,
to help further the work of creating a world
community with peace, justice and liberty for all,
and so much more.
Bethlehem Inn Dinners
Since 2008, UUFCO has - once every month - prepared a full meal for the residents of the Bethlehem Inn, Central Oregon's largest homeless shelter. Since the Bethlehem Inn is a converted motel without a central kitchen facility, the meal is prepared offsite by volunteers who choose the portion they'd like to prepare or purchase: turkey meat loaf, mashed potatoes, mixed vegetables, cupcakes, or milk. The food is then delivered to the Inn warm, and served by other UUFCO volunteers. The residents of the Inn are always deeply appreciative of the food shared with them - healthy and prepared with love and kindness.
Greater Community Collection
Every month we dedicate the offering of the last Sunday to a non-profit organization whose mission aligns with ours and with the Seven Principles of Unitarian Universalism. The recipients are nominated by members of the congregation (GCC Nomination Form) and then evaluated by members of the Social Justice Advisory Team. Examples of recipients during the past years:
- Habitat for Humanity
- Latino Community Association
- Deschutes Land Trust
- Bethlehem Inn
- Partners in Care
- United Way
- Many others...
Upcoming Greater Community Collection (GCC)
Our July GCC recipient will be received for the benefit of the Central Oregon Veterans Ranch.
Many thanks for the renewing generosity of this congregation, and to all who have given generously to our past two GCC recipients: for May, the total gift collected for Volunteers in Action was $990.00, and June’s offering for the Latino Community Association was $721.86.
Thank you for your continuing generosity in support of our Greater Community Collection.
About the Social Justice Advisory Team
The Social Justice Advisory Team has the responsibility to guide and support the UUFCO Social Justice Program, authorizing, empowering, affirming and promoting issue teams* who work independently on Social Justice issues. It is composed of at least four volunteers committed to regular attendance. There will be a minimum of three meetings per year to develop necessary policies, procedures and/or projects. It is an open team and any interested person may participate. Decisions will be reached by either consensus or vote of those present. A team member designated as "contact person" will facilitate Advisory Team communications.
Advisory Team members as of the last few meetings are: Joe Maier, recorder; Sue Wilhelm, SJ e-mail list; Sy Migdal, Anita Elliot, and Chela Sloper. Wilma Campbell is acting as contact person until a replacement is found.
* The current active Issue Teams are:
- Bethlehem Inn Dinners (Tom O’Brien & Leslie Koc)
- Environmental Sustainability/Global Warming (Alice Elshoff)
- Move to Amend (Chela Sloper)
- Oregon Health Care For All (Charles Campbell)
- Building Common Ground (Wilma Campbell)
- Greater Community Collections team (Ken Wilhelm, Anita and Carl Elliot).
"Teamsters & Turtles Together at Last"
Friday, July 17, 7:30 at UUFCO -- A Social Justice Folk Concert featuring singers Anne Feeney and Dana Lyons. This will be an evening of story and song about how labor activists and environmentalists can form a huge movement for justice, peace, equality, and sustainability.
This concert is sponsored by the UUFCO Social Justice Advisory Team. About the performers:
- Anne has been “comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable” since she graduated from high school in 1968. She spends most of her waking hours with people who are trying to make a difference in the world.
- Dana brings together a mix of comedy, ballads and love songs; his sharp wit and beautiful voice have him performing across the US and around the world. Here is one of Dana’s verses: “Our climate is changing, yet we have hope. Our world is in crisis, yet we have faith. Together, we can celebrate life. Together, we can deepen our commitments to justice. TOGETHER, WE CAN CHANGE THE WORLD.”
Suggested donation $15-20, no one turned away. Invite your friends! It stands to be a fun evening of inspiration and entertainment.
Move to Amend: Education Opportunity
Annual and Special Social Justice Opportunities:
We encourage our members and friends to take part in peace and justice events whenever, wherever possible. For the past several years, UUFCO has been involved in the following events, and others:
- Project Connect: a regional services faire providing much needed assistance to the homeless and underserved population
- CROP Walk: a nationwide fund-raiser sponsored by Church World Service, with local and national disbursement of funds raised
- Central Oregon Pride: our regional LGBTQ-affirming event sponsored by Human Dignity Coalition
Additional Social Justice Information: